Ah, the wild world of animal prints! From the runways of Milan to the streets of New York, animal patterns have been a long-standing favorite in the fashion industry. And among them, leopard print and cheetah print reign supreme. But wait, aren’t they the same thing? Not quite! Here’s your ultimate guide to distinguishing between these fierce feline patterns and how to rock them flawlessly.
The Basics: Leopard Print vs Cheetah Print
Before diving into fashion, let’s get the natural history lesson out of the way.
- Leopards are big cats known for their rosette patterns. These patterns are often made up of a darker circle with a lighter center and might remind you of an imperfect flower.
- Cheetahs, on the other hand, are best known for their speed. They have a distinct solid black “tear mark” that runs from the inner corner of each eye down to the side of their mouth. Their coats feature simple, solid black spots.
Spotting the Difference: Leopard Print vs Cheetah Print
Now, onto the patterns themselves:
Leopard print is characterized by its complex rosettes – spots that are a bit more intricate and usually have a lighter center surrounded by a darker, irregular outline. The print tends to be more dense with overlapping patterns.
Cheetah patterns are simpler, showcasing solid black dots. It has a more “minimalist” feel when compared to the leopard print, given the uniformity and simplicity of its spots.
Styling Tips for Each Print
Given its more intricate design, leopard print makes a bold statement. Pair it with neutral colors to let the pattern shine. Think a leopard print skirt with a crisp white blouse or a leopard print scarf adding flair to an all-black outfit.
Its simplicity allows for more versatile pairings. Mix and match with other patterns for a playful look or wear it with bright colors for added vibrancy. A cheetah print clutch with a striped dress? Absolutely!
How to Keep Animal Prints Chic
No matter which print you lean towards, both leopard and cheetah patterns embody a sense of the wild and add an exotic touch to any outfit. Remember:
- Less is More: These prints are attention-grabbing. One statement piece per outfit is usually enough.
- Accessorize: Not ready for a full leopard dress or cheetah trousers? Start small. Think belts, shoes, or even jewelry.
- Confidence is Key: Like any bold fashion choice, wearing animal prints requires confidence. Own the look, strut your stuff, and remember – fashion is all about personal expression.
So, next time you’re out shopping, and you overhear someone confusing the two prints, you’ll be well-equipped to enlighten them. Whether you’re team leopard or team cheetah, there’s no denying the allure of these wild patterns in the fashion jungle. Happy styling!